Feb 23, 2007

A Frozen Harbor



Let's start off this blog with a photo from just a few days ago. This is Miranda and Art Davis of Copper Harbor, who live in the oldest structure still in use in the village, a small log cabin built in the 1880s. Miranda is my daughter, graduate of Okemos High School and Michigan State, where I work nine months of each year. She's working for our family business (for which I also work in summer), the Isle Royale Queen IV, and is substitute teaching in the Calumet-Laurium-Keweenaw School District from time to time. Those are their two active dogs, Gus, the short-haired pointer, and Capone, the husky-shepherd mix. (Miranda has no explanation for Capone's name other than it sounded cool.) Art and Miranda, both of whom grew up during the summers of their youth in Copper Harbor, were married just last September, 2006, an event that has become famed in CH, for it was one of the great parties of all-time in our tiny town. They are standing on the waters of Copper Harbor itself, frozen up, at last, after the warm early winter. They stand about 150 yards off the east tip of Porters Island, and, yes, that is the famous and beautiful Copper Harbor Lighthouse and Light in the distance behind them, about a half mile away. A bunch of Kilpela family members took a wonderful walk around Porters on the ice on Sunday, February 18. My wife Marsha, Miranda's brothers Logan and Drew, and I all made a weekend trip to CH to visit the newlyweds and the rest of the family over Okemos's Presidents Day break. I don't think I will often be this timely with my photos, but I'll try on occasion. Hope you like the first shot. I'll probably try to post about once a month. I'm hoping Miranda will post some shots of CH, too.

1 comment:

copperqueenmir said...

Nice Dad! I didn't know that you were planning on doing a CH version. We will dig up some photos soon to post. When you called I thought you were sending me to someone else's site, not yours. Send Art the address, I think you have the e-mail. I'll let people in town know. I'm sure there are a couple who would like to check it out.