Jun 8, 2008

Here Comes the U.P. in All Its Glory

Another Copper Harbor period of this blog begins. The summer has come, and it is time for me to go north to help run the Isle Royale Queen IV out of Copper Harbor. It turned suddenly hot and humid in southern Michigan on the morning of my departure north, and I quickly got the heck out of Okemos without the family and headed for the Upper Peninsula and my second home. On the way north on I-75, a vast mass of storms passed over the Lower Peninsula. It poured. I mean poured. And then when I reached the Straits of Mackinaw, the temperature dropped by about 20 degrees, the wind started coming sharply out of the east, and the weather turned plain raw. Welcome to the U.P.! Just like last year, I was greeted with some raw early spring weather in early summer. Well, here's two shots taken during the crossing of the Makinaw Bridge as I approached the Upper Peninsula. The first shot was taken near the center of the Bridge looking north at the north tower, which was lost in the fog and rain. The second shot is of the north tower emerging from the fog. I'll be posting, of course, some more shots from my arrival in Copper Harbor soon. The weather turned very warm, even humid, even up here in CH, for a couple of days. The blackflies came out in droves, especially with a humid south wind. But then on Sunday, June 8, the the wind turned east, off the cold surface waters of Lake Superior, and the temps dropped 20 degrees again. Only in the 50s today. You just never know what's going to happen up in these parts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ben, great photos. Looking forward to more excogitations inspired by Lake Superior. How about something on family? Someone once said just watching the Kilpela family is great entertainment in itself.

I have not been commenting because in China I am restricted from these blogs. I use a proxy server to read the original post but I cannot read or post comments.

I purchased a service that gives my a virtual private network, but this is the first time in a month I have been able to get it to work. I have to fiddle about in every internet cafe which is a pain.

By the way, I set you up for a comment on my post about Confucius, but I see you did not post anything. As always I look forward to your stimulating opinions.