Jul 12, 2007

Garden Brook Pathway

The family, my family -- Ben Kilpela and wife and kids -- went for a walk in the woods just a half mile south and west of Copper Harbor on a recent evening. Included in the group were my daughter Miranda's dogs, Gus and Capone, and Harry, my brother John's dog (see a previous post for a close-up of Harry). This trail, maintained by the Michigan Nature association, runs along the bluff above the Garden Brook, a small stream, which often almost dries up in the summer, running parallel to the backside of Brockway Mountain down the Brockway valley to the flats just south of the village of Copper Harbor. It's a pretty walkway. To get the dogs a drink, we went off trail down the bluff to the Garden Brook itself to find a suitable pool of drinking water. The walk down the side of the bluff was steep and over loose gravel and through dense foliage. We found the edge of the brook well grown over, too. This shot is (l to r) of my son Logan, my wife Marsha, and my daughter Miranda Davis right on the edge of the Garden Brook in amongst the dense, Jurassic-Park-like foliage. Miranda and Logan tried wearing fern-fronds to keep the mosquitos off. I didn't think the bugs were bad at all.

This second shot is of Miranda working with Gus, her German short-haired pointer, on heeling. Gus just wants to move, but sometimes he can move too far too fast into the woods, at his usual breakneck pace, and get himself completely lost. He also will choke himself silly pulling on his leash. In the shot is Harry, my brother John's Jack Russell terrier. I think it's going to take Gus a long time to get the hang of this business.

No comments: