Jul 21, 2007

Independence Day

Ah, the Fourth, in Copper Harbor. It's a good day. The long parade. The kids' games at the Community Park. The big fireworks show at 11:00 at night (which was especially nice this year). My first photo of the holiday festivities is of my son Logan jumping over a small firework in the backyard of my brother Don's place on the main drag in Copper Harbor. I must admit I was the adult who was encouraging the kids, the Kilpela grandchildren, to take leaps over the fireworks. Only Logan gave it a try. Perhaps it was a bit foolish of me to offer him the chance, though Log survived my indiscretion.

My second shot is of my brother John with the mannequin that would become the Isle Royale Queen of our parade float. My sister Lisa had the idea for the float and dressed her up in a nice dress and various baubles and beads and attached her, with a salute, on the front bumper of her pickup truck, which was serving as the float foundation. I might put a picture of the final product up some time soon.

No comments: