Jul 2, 2007

The Keweenaw Forest

I went on a bike-and-hike journey east of Copper Harbor on a recent June evening. This shot was taken deep in the woods east of town up on a ridge that was within about a half mile of the Lake Superior shore near Horseshoe Harbor, the superb and famed Nature Conservancy Preserve that the Conservancy has made into such a wonderful place to hike and rock-hound. It's rugged, too. Going off-trail can be a challenge.



This next shot is one of me taken on the Horseshoe Harbor Road on the same evening. I got off my bike to explore among the birches near the road as the sun was finally setting (sundown is about 9:45 in mid- to late June). I balanced the camera on my bike seat to get the photo. I was wearing my full bug jacket because the black flies had come out in droves, as they do especially around sunset at this time of year. Blackfly season runs from about mid-May to the Fourth of July, though on certain days they can be no problem. With these bug jackets, you can enjoy a great deal more of the Keweenaw Forest at this time of year. A superb invention. Wouldn't be without one in June. A few years back, a tourist stopped on US-41 in CH to take a p[hoto of Marsha pushing our infant Logan on a walk. She was dressed in the bug jacket and the stroller was wrapped in a similaR bug baffler. The tourist found it amazing, but I guess one does what one must.

No comments: