Feb 25, 2008

A Dunking

I mentioned Logan's escapades along the Red Cedar River in Okemos last week, and here is the evidence. Log is standing on the ice at the edge of the river. Well, he's no longer standing on it. He's standing beneath it, for right at the edge of the river, at the foot of a short but steep embankment, he went through the mushy ice and hit bottom with on of his brand-new snowshoes, the new high-tech kind, made of aluminum and hard plastic and rubber. I was thinking of the incident as a problem (not enough of a problem NOT to takle a photo, of course), for if I had dunked my old wooden snowshoes (which I will show you in a photo coming soon), I might have had to spend a good ten minutes or more knocking all the ice off them, if not abandoning them altogether. But though Log repeatedly dunked one of the snowshoes he was wearing into the muddy river water, trying to get out, when he did get out, all he had to do was give the shoe a couple of stomps and the ice all fell away. How nice. His other snowshoe went through the ice as well but had found support just above the level of the river on a large fallen branch. We continued our hike for another hour or so.

2 comments:

Capt. Donald Kilpela Sr. said...

I've often wondered how deep that river is and whether or not it is navigable?

Ben Kilpela said...

The Red Cedar is mostly no deeper than 10 feet. But much of the way it's shallower than that. Also, there are many mud-bars and fallen logs, whole trees in fact, and oxbows throughout its course. It is fun to canoe or kayak, but it is not nevigable by almost any boat. I don't think I've ever even seen a powerboat on it.