Feb 18, 2008

A Turn in the Red Cedar

Cousin Kev Koski, on a trip around the world by bicycle, asked for more shots of the MSU campus, and I am willing to oblige, bit by bit. First, I should finally put up a link to Kev's wonderful blog, which I encourage all to read:

http://www.kevinkoski.com/blog/

For you Kev, here's a shot I took recently, just a few days ago actually, on campus. Can you believe this scene can be found in the midst of the small city that is Michigan State University. Some 25,000 people live on campus. An additional 12,000 work on campus every week day, and yet another 20,000 students live just off campus in the surrounding city of East Lansing. This is the Red Cedar River, which runs through the middle of MSU and through a couple of very nice natural areas. It mostly follows a straight course, but it does take a couple of dramatic turns in a couple corners of campus. I will give a special prize (what? a big kiss?) to anyone who can identify the location within, say, a couple hundred yards. I know that there are a few readers of this blog who lived on campus at one time or another, some for a long time, though for many it was a long time ago. But that should not be a problem. This location hasn't changed much in 75 years.

4 comments:

Kate said...

My guess is behind the Sanford? Natural Area behind Holmes and McDonel Halls?

Man, I miss that place!

Capt. Donald Kilpela Sr. said...

My guess is East Lansing...

Ben Kilpela said...

Don: Excellent. You are correct. Logan would be proud. Nowadays he jumps on my every ambiguity. But, of course, I was hoping for a narrower location. I don't know how to say this offhand, nor do I want to put the thought into it at the moment. Harold Ross would always find a way, no?

Kate: No. Try again. Good guess, though. Good to hear from you.

Anonymous said...

Ben, thanks for the photo. Boy, it's been a long time since I was up that way. But I recall that slope near the river. I would say it is looking east and there is a field just above that slope. I could show you on a map.

Incidentally, the ice reminds me of my wild college days when a couple of us jumped on the ice trying to break off a piece to create an ice floe. The idea was to ride it down the river. Luckily we did not succeed.