Mar 28, 2007

The Bed of a Pickup


If I had not put up that title how quickly would you have recognized this photo as a shot across the bed of a pickup truck? This was taken at the Detroit Auto Show some six weeks ago. This is one of those sorts of photos that can be interpreted in probably countless ways. What do you see and think and feel as you look at this composition? It might be the equivalent of an abstract painting. The people might be considered only incidental shapes to bring out the contrast between the red section and the blue section, with their contrasting colors and textures and forms. Or do you see some social statement or some personal vision in this? I find the photo very interesting, and to generate a viewer's interest (my own interest as viewer included) was probably all that was on my conscious mind as I took it. I'm not usually this kind of photographer. I usually most appreciate telling a story through a photo, and the story, to be a story, must somehow be decipherable, cogent, sensible as story. But I also am drawn to striking contrasts in my surroundings and in my life, and this photo also was taken because of my interest in showing one of the many kinds of contrast that I find express something important about my experience. Well, there's enough artsy talk for one day. I'll return to something more customarily story-like next time around. All interpretations welcome.

1 comment:

Capt. Donald Kilpela Sr. said...

Hi Ben. It took me a moment to figure this photo out. First, I thought it was taken outside a large model of the truck with the people standing in the truck bed. I smiled about that until I enlarged the photo and saw what was the actual picture. I have always wanted to go to that auto show not having been to one since the sixties. I believe the last one I attended was with Ben Lassila, my dear departed friend and your "uncle."ohrsgv