Mar 12, 2007

Winter Day in Okemos


We've had some tough winter days down in southern Michigan, too. Here's a shot across one of the wide farm fields, harvested of corn, near our house in Alaeidon Township, just south of Okemos proper (which as an incorporated governmental unit is known actually Meridian Township), which is across the I-96 expressway from the main developed area near our home. The photo was taken on a Saturday about three weeks ago during that massive snowstorm that crossed the center of the country and brought half a foot of snow to Indiana and lots of other bad weather from Louisiana up to Ontario, including dozens of serious thunderstorms and tornadoes in Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, and other states far down south. It was a bitter cold day -- we had a long cold spell in the Lower Peninsula after the warm start to winter -- with sustained winds kicking up over 30 m.p.h. and some gusts up to 50. To get this shot, I was sitting in my old green van with the driver's side window rolled down. It's still amazing to me that we have all this modern technology to protect us so well from the extremes of nature and even allow us to record it in this way. What an age in which we live.

1 comment:

Kate said...

That's a beautiful shot. There's something really haunting about it. I don't have anything more profound to say other than dang, I am glad I am here. I actually had to turn the a/c on in my car today.