May 30, 2007

Okemos in Spring

Remember the shot of "Okemos in Winter" from a few months back, that shot of the the blizzard that hit southern Michigan and many points south in March? Well, here's a shot of almost the same exact scene two and a half months later. The field remains unplowed and unplanted, though most of the corn fields have been laid in over the past week or so. This shot was taken along Every Road, about 2 miles west of Okemos Road. Drew and I were on a bike ride on a Sunday evening along the fields and woods near our home south of Okemos proper. It was a mighty chilly night, 50 degrees with a sharp north breeze. We needed, but hadn't worn, gloves. I was actually in a tee shirt, which was a big mistake. But, being the hard-headed soul I am, we kept going for the full ride. It feels strange to be posting these thoughts on a day that it is almost 90 degrees here in Okemos. All that cool spring weather has become a part of the past. Here's the url for the winter shot:


My next shot was taken on the same evening, as Drew and I were headed back toward home after going away from home about four miles. The color in those cheeks is not enhanced. It was so cold that we came back with red faces and very red hands. Drew sometimes wonders whether I am truly sane. He was rather quiet about my decision to proceed with our ride this night. Though he didn't say so, I think he was enjoying himself, despite the chill.

1 comment:

Capt. Donald Kilpela Sr. said...

Your self-professed stubborn streak comes from your Finnish heritage. Remember the Finnish fellow who was teeing off on the ninth hole at Keweenaw and had placed his foot in a sprinkler depression? He hit the ball and it went into the woods. He said, "I could have moved my foot for a better stance...but then again, I'm Finnish..." Well, that's what we are.

I hear you'll be back this weekend so let me be the first to say, "welcome home." I've enjoyed your Copper Harbor blog and have sent you a picture of the Copper Harbor school kids (all five of them) with their teacher singing at the Fort Wilkins Memorial Day celebration.

Dad