Jun 7, 2007

Crossing the Mackinaw

So, the fun begins for the summer. My job at MSU has been suspended for 3 months, as usual, and I have moved north to Copper Harbor to run the Isle Royale Queen IV with my brothers, daughter, and parents, while my wife and 2 boys family remains south in Okemos for the end of the school year. It was quite a lousy drive north on Monday,June 4. The rain was coming down in buckets up in the northern Lower Peninusla and in the east half of the Upper Peninusla. Here's a daunting shot from the front window of my old van on the way across the Mackinaw Bridge. That's the landmass of the U.P. coming into view out of the fog and heavy rain, about 2 miles up ahead. I've just passed the north tower of the bridge and am heading down the deck toward the toll booths on the north end of the bridge. Quite a summer welcome to the ol' U.P.

My next shot is of me, Captain Ben, on the shore of Lake Superior several hours later. This was taken at one of the roadside parks along Au Train Bay, one of the spots I almost always stop at along the way north, and the way back south. It was warmer than it might appear. Though it had been pretty darn cold at the Mackinaw Bridge, in the low 50s, if that, here at Au Train the temperature had to be in the mid-60s. Copper Harbor here I come.

No comments: