Sep 14, 2007

Gotta Love That Junker

My son-in-law Art Davis loves his heap, that old red Jeep that he bought a couple years back. He seemed, perhaps, more excited about buying it than getting married to my daughter, Miranda, last September -- though I must admit that Miranda seems to love that old heap with a special fondness as well. Here's a shot of Art and Miranda, my sons Logan and Drew in the narrow and rugged back seat, pulling out of the driveway at our Copper Harbor house one late evening in mid-August a good hour after sunset. They use this old clunky vehicle for getting around in the Keweenaw woods on their various berry-picking missions and for hauling their big dogs, pictured elsewhere several times on this blog, to the trailheads they hike out from. I guess it has served a couple of great purposes, that old Jeep. It's always a rural luxury of our unpretentious sort to have a car or truck that you can beat the hell out of. I offered my old green Caravan to Art and Mir this summer, but Art's still happy with this thing, and so I drove my old Caravan home to Okemos and finally sold it to a friend who needed transportation. I'll miss it just because I could beat the hell out of it.

3 comments:

CLK Rotary Club said...

That picture 0f the Jeep makes it look pretty good. In reality, it is really a junker. I must admit that I've used it once or twice but always wonder if it will get me there and back. It has no top at all, no cover either, so when it rains, it fills with water.

copperqueenmir said...

Hey now...That's not fair to say he was more excited about the jeep than marrying me!!! I just didn't want him to spend that $500. We made a deal, he bought that and I threw a dog party.

Ben Kilpela said...

Sorry, Miranda. I was just teasing. Of course Art loves you MUCH more than that old junker.