Sep 11, 2007

Horseshoe Channel

The days of summer have ended, and I and the family have returned from Copper Harbor to our life in Okemos. The weather has changed considerably as well. It is cool down here in Okemos on this early September day, in the low 60s, and fall-like up in CH, with a temp in he 50s and a heavy gale brlowing over Lake Superior. But I have many photos of the summer in the queue still planned for this blog, so I will keep with summer for a while longer, if only to keep as much of it as I can in the memory for as long as possible. In mid-August I took my boys out to Horseshore Harbor, the 600-acre preserve of the Nature Conservancy, to enjoy a fine summer day on the Lake Superior shore. We all went swimming in the West Harbor, as I call it, out at the preserve. A west wind was really jumping that day, and there were some sizeable waves crashing in (though the Queen IV had a fairly placid crossing, I was to find out later when she returned from Isle Royale. Here's a shot of the boys, Logan and Drew, swimming up one of the rocky channels in the West Harbor area of Horseshoe. They were pretending something that I was not privy to and having a great time.

No comments: