Jan 18, 2008

Ice Forming

My Dad, Captain Don Kilpela, wrote to me from Copper Harbor yesterday to say that he had been watching an amazing sight on Wednesday morning. The winds along the Keweenaw Peninsula were amazingly calm on Wednesday. Don said he was actually seeing the surface of the harbor gradually freeze in the morning stillness. He sent me two photos of the event that he took from the Isle Royale Queen IV dock, the first looking west, the second looking north. You can see that the harbor has not frozen much yet, which is quite unusual over all time, but not so uncommon in recent years.



But my, how things can change. From the copperharbor.org web site I copied this shot of Copper Harbor from the Jamsen's Fishhouse next door to the Queen dock yesterday, Thursday, and look how the weather has turned.

No comments: