Jan 10, 2008

Snowfall

Logan, my 15-year-old, served as my gopher when we went on that snowshoeing hike along the southside of Lake Fanny Hooe during the New Year week, which I discussed in one of my previous posts. The principal task I gave him was knocking the snow piled on branches, as on these well-laden cedar trees. Can you see Log amid the clumps of falling snow? I need this done to protect my camera, which has too often gotten wet from snow-clumps dropping onto it when I happen to bump a branch. We were going through these cedars because I was trying to get into position from some good shots of the Manganese River, which was tumbling along on the day of our hike, since the temps were in the mid- to high 20s.

The result of the tasks I gave Logan is illustrated in the second photo, in which Log shows off the snow that has collected on his head and shoulders. He doesn't seem to mind the snow piling up on him. He doesn't even seem to notice much, since he has that shaggy head of hair, of which he is certainly as proud as Samson (as I once was of my shaggy mane in the days of my youth). Good job Logan. I was glad you were on duty. I got some good shots of the river, too, which I might post. That will have to come after some other shots I have ready to go up.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ben, why don´t you post a photo of the shaggy mane of your youth? If you don´t I will, if I can find some of those old slides I used to have. I remember a couple classics: one you dumping excrement/formaldehyde from the Queen in the Copper Harbor dump, and another of you flinging a frisbee on Sylvan Lake.

Ben Kilpela said...

I will do that, Kev. You should see my graduation photo. What a hoot. I'll try to scan that and post it along with a recent shot of Logan. Long hair IS back, but variety now seems to be the main fashion trend. Any length of hair now seems accepetable to the young as long as it the length is managed in certain defined ways. For example, a boy can have extremely short hair, but he must not have a "butch" cut, the military look, with the slightly longer hair just back of the forehead. These things fascinate me.

Capt. Donald Kilpela Sr. said...

Ben: you should post your 40th birthday party montage of photos of you with every style of facial and head hair imaginable.