Jan 9, 2008

Icicles

The weather was, indeed, very nice during our stay in Copper Harbor over the New Year this season (highs in the mid-20s and lows in the teens). Here's a shot of my 12-year-old son Andrew snapping icicles hanging from the eaves of the Davis cabin in town. Art and Miranda Davis, daughter and son-in-law to me, live in the oldest still-inhabited building in the village, built in the 1880s, if I recall correctly. (I am sure Art will correct me if I am wrong, so check the comments to this post if you have doubts.) It has always been strange to me that it can snow so hard for so long in the Keweenaw, such as it did for two weeks in mid-December this year, when the area received about three feet of snowfall. And then the snow-machine will stop because of a slight alteration in the continental weather pattern, and there will be no snow for weeks on end. That was the case just before the New Year, despite the comfortable cold. And now, yesterday, January 8, Miranda reported that there was some light rain in Copper Harbor. That has happened much more frequently in midwinter in the past decade. Something is obviously up with the weather, whether it's something for good or ill. I spoke of this last year on this blog, global warming. The consensus seems even more solid that it is occuring. But I have been reading some articles that make the claim that its results will not be all that terrible. The debate goes on.

No comments: